Carrollwood Players Theatre announces an open call for submissions of original monologues and original songs for QUARANTINE: THE MUSICAL
Quarantine: The Musical is a collaborative project for writers, actors, singers, and musicians. This special production will be presented live by Carrollwood Players Theatre in mid to late June, 2020.
While it is possible this performance MAY be presented on stage for a live audience, we anticipate this original work will be presented as a live virtual online performance.
Therefore, we request submissions that are both created by, and intended to be performed by, the submitter(s). Your submission of your monologue(s) and/or original song(s) will also be considered your audition.
We are seeking original material addressing all aspects of the COVID-19 pandemic. We are seeking a variety of material, ranging from comedic to dramatic. All submissions, including songs, should be suitable as a stand alone piece. Selected pieces will be compiled together by the director to create Quarantine: The Musical.
Submission Deadline: 11:59 p.m, Wednesday, May 20th, 2020
Guidelines for Submissions:
1. All submitted material must be 100% original, written by you or one or more collaborator(s), and intended to be performed by you as a monologue or song.
2. Monologues should be approximately 5 minutes in length and tell a compelling story about a specific character. Monologues may be comedic or dramatic and must be written in the first person style. Monologues must be intended to be performed by you, but can be written by you and/or a collaborator. Please, no scenes with multiple characters. We are seeking monologues only.
3. Songs should be approximately 3-5 minutes in length and may address either a specific character’s story, or our collective pandemic experience. Songs must use 100% original music and lyrics and may be comedic or dramatic. Songs do not necessarily have to be written in the first person style. Songs must be written by you and/or one or more collaborators, and be intended to be performed by you and/or any other person(s) in your household. You must be able to provide live accompaniment on an instrument(s) played by yourself and/or others in your household, or using a backing track created from your own original music.
4. Submit your work as a VIDEO of you performing the piece. If you are submitting a song that will be performed by you WITH others in your household, all performers should perform in your submission video. Lyrics/lines do not have to be memorized for your submission/audition video, but if your submission is a song, it must be performed in your video with your instrument(s) or backing track..
5. Your submission video should begin with a brief introduction of each person appearing in the video, including each person’s name and email address. followed by a performance of the piece.
6. Send your video as a file or private link by email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include in the body of your email the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of anyone appearing in the video.
7. Submissions must be received by 11:59 p.m. on Wednesday, May 20th, 2020.
8. Selected submissions will be notified by email approximately one week after the deadline.
9. Selected participants should be prepared to participate in rehearsals and performance(s), which will be scheduled based on cast availability. Rehearsals will take place beginning in late May, with performances to take place in mid to late June.
10. To participate, selected participants must have access to a WIFI connection and must have a laptop or desktop computer with webcam and internal mic. Rehearsals, and likely performance(s), will be held online.
11. Due to the likelihood of online performances and the limitations of live virtual performing (buffering/lag times, etc.), any song pieces that will be performed by you WITH someone else, must be performed together, in person, from your household. Please, no submissions of duets or group songs that would involve singers/musicians in different locations. Limiting participation in your song to persons who RESIDE in your household is highly recommended.
This is an unpaid project. Writers retain rights for their original material, and grant permission to Carrollwood Players Theatre for use in this project.
Questions about submissions may be submitted by email at email@example.com