About the Tampa Museum of Art
Located along the beautiful downtown riverfront of Tampa, Florida, the Tampa Museum of Art (TMA) is one of Florida’s Gulf Coast premier art museums, serving the community since its founding in 1920. TMA provides innovative public programs with a focus on ancient, modern, and contemporary art to the Tampa Bay region. The Museum balances a growing collection, including one of the largest Greek and Roman antiquities collections in the southeastern United States, with a dynamic annual schedule of special exhibitions and events. The region’s largest institution devoted to the art of our time, TMA has fostered a reputation for presenting contemporary photography and new media; most notably, Leo Villareal’s Sky (Tampa), a 14,000 square-foot LED installation on its south façade, has become an iconic landmark for Tampa. Since its founding, the Museum has been dedicated to providing quality education to students and adults, with more than half of its programs offered free of charge, the Museum has emerged as Tampa’s premier venue for special events and is home to Riverwalk Café at TMA, a café featuring favorite local flavors overlooking the Hillsborough River.
The Assistant Graphic and Digital Media Designer helps the Director of Marketing and Communications in the design, production, and distribution of creative communication touchpoints on a variety of media, including print, email, social, video, web, and other digital needs. The Assistant Graphic and Digital Media Designer brings marketing experience, creativity, resourcefulness, and a willingness to learn and use new technologies.
The person in this role will be responsible for producing deliverables throughout the entire process of design—including writing creative briefs, generating concepts, editing photo, and video, and producing final products—for the Tampa Museum of Art, ensuring projects are completed on schedule and meet communication and branding standards.
- Manage multiple projects in a highly organized manner with the ability to be flexible with changing priorities, following the directions of the Director of Marketing and Communications.
- Maintain a structured project file workflow and labeling system that allows effortless collaboration between all members of the Marketing Department.
- Support the Marketing Department with strong written and spoken communication skills and excellent attention to detail, spelling, and grammar.
- Collaborate and follow up with all departments at TMA to plan ideas and style, and then organize timely execution to distribute collateral materials, branded assets, and digital communications.
- Write creative briefs, build presentations, and provide well-researched information to back-up design decisions to key project stakeholders.
- Demonstrate flexible thinking and openness to design changes as needed to ensure the final design products match the scope of each project.
- Design marketing campaign concepts that can easily translate across different mediums.
- Cooperate with the Curatorial team to ensure the proper approval of artwork copyright and image credit lines before publishing each project.
- Contribute to the aesthetic evolution of TMA, its signature events, education programs, and exhibition information materials.
- Work with vendors to build projects to correct specifications and ensure the final product quality meets or exceeds the Marketing Department’s standards.
- Maintain technical knowledge by attending design workshops, reviewing professional publications, and/or participating in professional organizations.
- Support the Marketing Department and execute digital and print initiatives.
- Create mood boards and concept designs.
- Design and format text and graphics, prepare proofs, make corrections, and requested edits in a professional and timely manner.
- Develop campaigns for ads and promotions.
- Create custom designs that give voice to TMA and its events and programs.
- Ensure the visual consistency of TMA’s brand across mediums.
- Make digital illustrations for infographics, signage, and media assets.
- Design visual assets for organic and paid campaigns on social media.
- Setup branded templates, stationery, and presentations for interdepartmental use.
Video and Documentary Projects
- Knowledge of copyright policies and audio, digital, and video technologies.
- Manage pre-production planning, production, and post-production work.
- Create storyboards, write scripts, and shot lists.
- Use camera and audio equipment with manual settings to record video, sound bites, and take photos during exhibitions, education events, and evening events.
- Maintain all recording equipment in functioning order to be able to support social media marketing efforts with spur-of-the-moment recordings or photos.
- Organize a searchable media database of b-roll footage and stock photos.
- Log, edit, and render video, motion graphics, and photos.
- Ability to record and edit voice-over audio
- Monitor current video production trends and their uses within museum and fine art environments.
- Coordinate and organize on-site and off-site photo and video shoots, including setting up cameras, lights, audio, recording, streaming and archiving.
Interactive and Web Design
- Create wireframes and style sheets.
- Update text and images on the website using WordPress.
- Make scalable web images for responsive website designs.
- Design email newsletters, digital invitations, and engaging content for social media marketing.
- Utilize e-marketing communication tools such as Constant Contact and Hootsuite.
- Organize a searchable media database for website images and email marketing campaigns on Constant Contact and WordPress.
- Design animated graphics for email and web banner advertising.
- BFA, BA, or BS degree in Graphic Design, Fine Arts, Communication Design, Digital Media, Instructional Design, or related field
- Proven work experience as a designer with 2+ years of professional design experience
- An exceptional portfolio that displays a strong understanding of design principles to be submitted before an interview
- Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud products, including Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere, After Effects, Media Encoder, Lightroom, Acrobat, and Spark
- Experience with Microsoft products, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Office.com Apps and Windows Operating System
- Must be detail-oriented and have strong written and spoken communication skills and excellent attention to detail, spelling, and grammar.
- Must have strong project and time management skills
- Experience in social media platforms for business (E.g., Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully.
- Ability to occasionally perform light lifting, twenty (25) pounds or less, of camera gear, printed materials, and office supplies
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear to be able to record and edit video and audio, perform voice-over and give verbal instructions
- Ability to combine colors, fonts, and layouts consistent with the Tampa Museum of Art’s visual style and correct color and focus in photography and videography
- The employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
Job Type: Full-time, 40 hours per week.
Work Location: On-site at the Tampa Museum of Art with few off-site days to film or photograph as needed.
Schedule: Flexibility to set a regular schedule between Monday and Sunday. Must be available to attend a select number of evening-time and weekend events throughout the year.
To apply email your cover letter, resume, and portfolio link to firstname.lastname@example.org