Historic Building/Landmark - Nonprofit
305 South Hyde Park Avenue, Florida, Tampa, FL 33606
In the Tampa Bay region, the name Helen Gordon Davis is synonymous with guts, grit, and glamour. Through her passionate pursuit of equality, justice, and human rights for 65 years, Helen played a pivotal role in advancing the plight of millions across Florida and beyond. She was revered, respected and beloved.
Representative Davis believed a warm environment would enhance self-esteem and promote feelings of worthiness for the women during this troubled time in their lives. She solicited contributions for a down payment, and the organization bought what the Bureau of Historic Places later designated as the Ward-Taliaferro House (c. 1895). Occurring prior to the restoration of the Hyde Park area, such a purchase would not be affordable today. Supplemented by labor of the Board members, local architect, Jan Abell, oversaw sufficient renovation to make the building safe and useable. In the late 1980s, The Centre received several historic preservation grants to restore the exterior of the building, which has been described as one of the “best examples of neo-classical architecture in Tampa.” Through the years, women have remarked about how comfortable the house is, and that they often feel support just walking in the door.
The Helen Gordon Davis Centre for Women is a nonprofit organization offering a diverse array of programs to help women in the Tampa Bay region to succeed both personally and professionally.
Our programs and services encourage, educate and empower women.